Connect with us

Sports

ManU Fans Threaten Commercial Partners Amidst Anti-Glazer Protests

Published

on

A group of Manchester United fans have called on supporters to boycott the club’s commercial partners in protest over the Glazer ownership.

A large group of fans protested at Old Trafford and the Lowry Hotel, where the team were based ahead of the Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday, which resulted in the game being called off.

Now, a group have published an open letter to the club’s commercial partners, of which United have 23, asking them to cut their ties with the Glazer family and warning that fans will no longer be using their services and products.

What was said?

A letter addressed to the club’s commercial partners outlined the debt the Glazer ownership had brought to United, and highlighted that the money they pay to the club is not, in their view, going towards investment.

The Glazers

“Your sponsorship money will be used for debt servicing and dividends. Supporting the Glazers does not support the club. It sustains a parasitical relationship,” the letter said.

“The Glazers engorge on commercial revenue, you exploit the fanbase to access global markets, and fans are left desperate as the club weighed down by debt is unable to marshal its own resources to compete where it should. Supporting the Glazers is therefore an attack on Manchester United Football Club.

“To that end, Manchester United fans will boycott your products, seek to tarnish your brands and support your competitors until you terminate your commercial partnership with the Glazer family.

“United fans have sought every possible avenue since the takeover to improve the situation: from peaceful protesting and open letters, to fan-led share purchase initiatives and consortium bids.

“The Glazers have ignored every attempt. Even after promising to ‘rebuild trust with fans’, Joel Glazer declined to participate in a Fans Forum last week. Desperate, we have been left with no other alternative but to attack what the Glazer family are reliant on: commercial revenue and brand reputation.

“Until then, if you are complicit with the Glazers, you are complicit in the attack of Manchester United Football Club as well as the attempted murder of English football.”

Who are Manchester United’s commercial partners?

According to the club’s website, they have 23 commercial partners ranging from Adidas to Cadbury and Remington.

What next?

This letter is just the next step of the fans’ protests as they look to persuade the Glazer family to sell.

Goal understands fans are planning another protest at the ground ahead of the rescheduled Liverpool fixture which seems likely to be played on the weekend of May 15.

Manchester United are working with the Football Association, the Premier League, Greater Manchester Police and local safety authorities to establish what went wrong at Sunday’s protest and how fans managed to access the inside of the stadium.

GMP have said one man has been charged, confirming in a statement: “Michael Anthony James Cusker of Winstanley Road, Manchester has been charged with throwing fireworks in a street, use of threatening behaviour and wilful obstruction of the highway.

“He has been bailed ahead of a court appearance at Manchester Magistrates Court on 25 May 2021.”

The club have pledged to issue their own sanctions to anyone they identify as having engaged in violent behaviour or criminal damage. It is understood that does not necessarily mean all of the fans who accessed the pitch.

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON: South Africa to Meet Nigeria in the Semi-final After Penalty Win Over Cape Verde

Published

on

Jubilant Bafana Bafana after the penalty win over Cape Verde

South Africa survived a Cape Verde’s scare to win on penalties and set up a semi-final clash with Nigeria at the ongoing African Cup of Nations in Cote d’Ivoire

Goalkeeper Ronwen Williams was the hero as South Africa beat Cape Verde 5-3 on penalties following a goalless 120 minutes to advance to the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals.

After a tense last eight clash ended 0-0 at the Charles Konan Banny Stadium in Yamoussoukro on Saturday night, Williams remarkably saved four spot-kicks in the shootout to send Bafana Bafana through.

Both sides started brightly in an open first half, but stellar defending and top-class goalkeeping from Williams and Cape Verde’s Vozinha kept the game goalless at the break.

The second half followed a similar pattern as the teams traded blows in search of the breakthrough. But a combination of desperation and brilliant defending saw numerous chances go begging.

Cape Verde almost stole it in added time when Gelson Tavares pounced on a deep ball only to smash his shot off the bar with Williams getting a hand to it. 0-0 after 90 minutes meant extra time.

The additional 30 minutes brought more chances, with South Africa’s Fagrie Lakay forcing a superb save from Vozinha. But the deadlock remained to send the quarter-final into penalties.

After an impressive four penalty saves by Williams, Bafana Bafana secured their place in the semi-finals for the first time since 2000 where they will meet Nigeria.

Post-match reactions:

Hugo Bruce – South African coach

“When we got to the penalty shootout, it was a special thing for the players, because during training they were scoring them. When we have a goalkeeper who stops 4 penalty kicks, this is not luck but a lot of hard work.

Not many people in South Africa believed in this team, but we believed in it, and the players believed in themselves as well. Reaching the semi-finals is in itself a good thing for South African football.

There was a lot of pressure in the match. Everyone wanted to qualify. This match was unlike the previous ones. We did not show the same performance as we had in previous matches.

The semi-final match will be different against Nigeria, which has good players like Lookman. We will not lose focus. The players will be in good condition, so we need to rest and recover to start our preparation”.

Bobista – Cape Verde coach

“Congratulations to South African. We wanted to win the match, but this is football. In my opinion, we had several chances to win this match. We have a good team, and we also faced a good competitor. We had several chances to kill the match, but we were not able to.

We had a good journey, and we also deserved to be in the semi-finals. Our people will be happy with what we presented in the competition.

We were the best in some phases of this match, and you know in such competitions, when you fail to score it will be complicated, and as for penalty kicks, sometimes there is luck.

The players who took the penalties are the best in our team, but when you are tired it is difficult. I am proud of our players, they showed their character.” (CAFonline)

Continue Reading

Sports

SHOCK FOR LIVERPOOL FANS, FOOTBALL WORLD AS JURGEN KLOPP STEPS OUT

Published

on

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has confirmed he will step down as the club’s manager at the end of the season – almost nine years since taking over from Brendan Rodgers

Jurgen Klopp has explained why he will leave Liverpool at the end of the season, citing his departure down to “running out of energy”.

The 56-year-old replaced Brendan Rodgers as the club’s new manager in October 2015 and has since transformed the Reds’ fortunes, winning the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup, Carabao Cup and Club World Cup during his time at Liverpool. However, the German has now confirmed he will leave Anfield in the summer.

Explaining his reasons behind his exit, Klopp said: “It is that I am, how can I say it, running out of energy. I have no problem now, obviously, I knew it already for longer that I will have to announce it at one point, but I am absolutely fine now. I know that I cannot do the job again and again and again and again.

“After the years we had together and after all the time we spent together and after all the things we went through together, the respect grew for you, the love grew for you and the least I owe you is the truth – and that is the truth.”
The news of Klopp’s departure has shocked fans across the world, while Jamie Carragher is ex-Liverpool players who have been left stunned by the announcement. He said on Twitter: “This news was always going to be a body blow to the club whenever it came. I just thought it would be another few years away. What a manager, what a man, let’s go out with a bang Jurgen!”

Liverpool could still win four trophies before the end of the season. The Reds booked their place in the Carabao Cup final after beating Fulham 3-2 on aggregate, while Klopp’s side face Norwich in the FA Cup fourth round this weekend. They are also in the Europa League last 16 and sit five points clear at the top of the Premier League with a serious possibility of winning the top-flight this season.

“I can understand that it’s a shock for a lot of people in this moment, when you hear it for the first time, but obviously I can explain it – or at least try to explain it,” Klopp also said when he announced his departure.

“I love absolutely everything about this club, I love everything about the city, I love everything about our supporters, I love the team, I love the staff. I love everything. But that I still take this decision shows you that I am convinced it is the one I have to take.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal Bundled Out Of FA Cup After 2:0 Defeat To Liverpool

Published

on

Liverpool compounded Arsenal’s woes with a 2-0 defeat at the Emirates Stadium to send the Gunners out of the FA Cup in the third round.

Mikel Arteta’s men have now failed to win their last four matches in all competitions, which has put their title hopes in jeopardy.

The Gunners missed numerous goalscoring chances against a Liverpool side without the services of Mohammed Salah and Virgil Van Dijk.

The hosts dominated the first half with Martin Odegaard hitting the crossbar before Kai Havertz and Reiss Nelson missed good opportunities to break the deadlock.

Alexander-Arnold and Diogo Jota also hit the cross bar for Liverpool in the first half as both sides failed to cancel out each other to end it goalless.

Liverpool scored two late goals to book their place in the fourth round of the competition.

Alexander-Arnold’s free-kick bounced in off Jakub Kiwior’s head for an own goal to put the Reds in the lead.

Luis Diaz put the icing on the cake with an emphatic finish to condemn Arsenal to another defeat.

Liverpool Players Celebrating the win against Arsenal


Arsenal manager, admitted that his side are not finishing off their chances.

He said, “Well, the performance was there and the amount of chances too,”

“We just have to win the game, but we lost it, and we are not capitalising. To win games, we need to capitalise.

“When you are better than the best team in Europe and you generate that amount of chances. I have not seen a team do it against them like we have done it.

“It is not enough. The reality is that it is not enough.”

The Spaniard has urged his team to be more efficient ahead of a busy schedule.

“Listen [do I say] play worse than Liverpool, be worse and we will win the game? When my team plays with this confidence what can I do? I am still behind them 100 per cent.

“It is what it is and we have to continue to play the same way and be more efficient,” he added.

Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp hailed his side fighting spirit after a tough clash at the Emirates.

He said, “In the end, we came through. I’m really happy we could win this game. Arsenal could have won it without a doubt. We finished it off, and it spoke for the character of the boys,”

“I’m super proud. It was a super difficult draw. Maybe the most difficult we could have got.
“It wasn’t an easy game to enjoy in the first half. We changed a bit at half-time.

“We were really in the game in the second half. We scored the goals and fought for 95 minutes.”

Up next for Arsenal is a Premier League clash against Crystal Palace on January 20, while Liverpool have a date with Fulham in the EFL Cup semi final first leg on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Archives

Categories

Meta

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending