Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Uncategorized

Maltreatment of Nigerians in China Unacceptable – FG

The minister of foreign Affairs, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama said that the racism and discriminatory practices against Nigerians and black people in China following the outbreak of COVID- 19 in some parts of the country is unacceptable.

The minister who stated this at the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 briefing in Abuja yesterday following the recently alleged inhuman treatment of some blacks in China said the federal government would not condone such acts any longer.

He said the government will be working with leaders of other Africa countries “to take definitive steps against China”.

“I have received reports and we told them that it is unacceptable and we are also engaging with other African countries to decide and work together definitive steps and measures that we will take because of this situation,” he said.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr Geoffrey Onyeama and the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria Mr Zhou Pingjian in a meeting at the Minister’s office

“We have been engaging with China at various levels; at the level of our consulate in Guangzhou where the cases of racism and discrimination have been ongoing and also at the federal level in Beijing, through our embassy.

“We have made it clear to the Chinese government in no uncertain terms that under no circumstance will we accept racial discrimination against Nigerians or Africans or blacks in China. That is a red line for us,” Onyeama stated.

He said the government will fight to the end to ensure justice is served.

He said the Nigerian consulate in Guangzhou had been directed to systematically detail every single case of discrimination, loss or damage suffered by any Nigerian.

The minister said every case will be followed robustly and compensation and damages will be done where required.

“So for us, as I said, it is a red line and we are going to fight it to the very end.

He recalled how the government, out of solidarity, refused to place a ban on China when the pandemic started in Wuhan.

“We are extremely disappointed because we have excellent relations with the government and people of China that such a thing can happen at this stage.  And you know when there were calls for travels to be banned to China, when they had the outbreak in Wuhan and so forth, we went along with the World Health Organisation (WHO) advice not to place a travel ban on China and showed rare solidarity because we also had our own experience of epidemic with Ebola etc, but really we are deeply, deeply wounded by what has happened to Nigerians and other Africans in China.

Recall that amidst the fallouts of the COVID-19 pandemic in China, several videos were circulated on social media showing Chinese authorities harassing Africans, including Nigerians, throwing them out of their homes and forcing them to sleep on the streets of Guangzhou, in Guandong Province of China.

The videos drew hashtag #ChinaMust Explain as Nigerians on social media prevailed on the government, as well as the foreign affairs ministry, to intervene.
(NewsGazette)
Photo courtesy:Channels TV

You May Also Like

Aviation

“So, we will open as soon as all of us are happy to open and I want to adopt what the national coordinator has...

Aviation

As the nation gears up for the resumption of international flights from August 29, the Director-General, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, Capt. Musa Nuhu...

Uncategorized

A thunderstorm has killed 18 suspected kidnappers at a forest in Adamawa State. Sources said the men of the underworld were sharing ransom money...

Aviation

* As Government Sets Up Facilitation Committee … The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has said that government was working tirelessly to establish the...