Connect with us

Security

Court dismisses suit stopping Mohammed Adamu from parading himself as IG

Published

on

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, dismissed a suit seeking an order restraining Mr Mohammed Adamu from parading himself as the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed gave the ruling following a motion exparte with suit number: FHC/ABJ/CS/106/21 filed by Maxwell Opara, a legal practitioner, and argued by his lawyer, Ugochukwu Ezekiel.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Opara had sued President Mohammadu Buhari, Mr Mohammed Adamu, the Attorney General of the Federation and the Ministry of Justice as 1st to 4th defendants respectively.

Opara, in the motion dated Feb. 10 and filed Feb. 11, had prayed the court for an order of interim injunction, restraining Adamu from parading himself as I-G pending the determination of the matter and for an abridgement of time within which the defendants should respond to the application.

Although the I-G was represented by Alex Izinyon, SAN, the 1st, 3rd and 4th defendants were not represented in court.
When the case was mentioned, the applicant’s lawyer, Ezekiel, told the court that the 1st, 3rd and 4th defendants were duly served with the originating processes and the hearing notices for the day’s sitting.

“They were equally aware of today’s sitting because they were served with hearing notice,” he said.
He informed the court that he had a motion exparte dated Feb. 10 and filed Feb. 11.

The lawyer said the motion sought for an order to restrain Adamu from further parading himself as IGP and for the court to abridge the time within which the defendants would file their processes.

Izinyon, who appeared for Adamu, said he was in court in protest because defendants had 30 days within which to file their responses in respect to the main suit.

According to him, we received the hearing notice two days ago.

He urged the court not to grant his request to move the motion.

But Ezekiel argued that since the motion he planned to move was an exparte, counsel to the defence was not supposed to respond.

He cited Order 26, Rule 6 of the court to back his argument.

“Order 26, Rules 6 and 7 of this court allows the plaintiff to bring an exparte motion to court at the back of the other party.

“A motion exparte is an application filed by a party who wishes to get some reliefs at the back of the other party in the interim,” he said.

Justice, who agreed with the order cited by Ezekiel, ordered that the motion be moved.

Moving the motion, the lawyer told the court that the application was brought pursuant to Sections 215 and 216 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), Section 7 of the Nigeria Police Act 2020 and provision of the court.

He urged the court to grant the reliefs sought in the interest of national security.

Ruling, Justice Mohammed held that since all the defendants had already been served with the originating processes in the suit, it would be unfair to grant the exparte motion when the defence had within 30 days to respond to the main suit.

The judge said such order would be contrary to the provision of the law.

“Prayer one for an order of interim injunction is hereby refuse,d,” he ruled.

Mohammed, who said the second prayer shall be a notice to the defendants, adjourned the matter until Feb. 24.

He ordered that 1st, 3rd and 4th defendants be served with hearing notices.

Continue Reading

Security

Suspected herdsmen kill 27 in Agatu

Published

on

No fewer than 27 people have been reportedly killed by suspected Fulani herdsmen on Sunday in the Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State.

The attackers were reported to have invaded the Odugbeho community in the local government between 5:00 pm and 5:30 pm.

A native who mentioned his name to be Dan told Tribune Online that the attackers stormed the community even when some people were burying their dead.

Dan also hinted that the attackers came in their numbers and unleashed terror on the community.

Dan said: “The herdsmen were believed to have come from Nasarawa State and attacked in a guerrilla-style.

“Unfortunately, on Sunday was a market day and some people in the community were burying their dead when they observed that herdsmen had invaded.

The State Chairman of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), John Ngbede, also told our correspondent on the phone that 25 corpses have been recovered and buried.

Ngbede who is a political leader in the local government said: “A leader in the village told me this morning that 25 corpses have been found and buried and people are in the bush searching for missing persons.

“The local government chairman with security operatives have gone to the affected community this morning, when they are back, we will be able to know the actual number of people that died.

While confirming the attack, the council chairman, Adohi Sule, said that the militia herders stormed the community between 5:00 pm and 5:30 pm where they killed 27 people.

Sule explained that the attackers invaded the community when some people were burying their dead and others were in the market.

Sule added: “We are just coming back from the community, 27 people were found killed and the herdsmen attacked and fled.

When contacted, the State Command spokesperson, DSP Catherine Anene, did not pick her phone and did not respond to text messages sent to her cellphone.

(Source: Tribune)

Continue Reading

Security

IPOB ORDER: Open Your Shops or Lose Them, Umahi Threatens Ebonyi Traders

Published

on

Gov. David Umahi of Ebonyi has warned that traders who comply with the Monday’s sit-at-home order should be ready to forfeit their shops.

Umahi issued the warning in a state-wide broadcast on Saturday in Abakaliki to mark the sixth anniversary of his administration.

He was reacting to the order by the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) to the people of South-East zone.

He directed that all markets in the state should open for business on Monday.

The governor said: “There should be free movement of people in the state on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and other days of the year.

“People should go to church on Sunday to pray for the nation’s fallen security agents, civilians and peace and unity of the state and country.

“I challenge the youths, local government area chairmen, security agents, Ebebeagu security outfit, among others, to ensure that no one is molested in the state.

“Anyone who has nothing to protect himself should do so with cutlass, which should be for protection and not for attack.”

He said that all forms of procession had been banned in the state except those by youths organised by council chairmen.

“I have been notified about such processions and they are being used to profile our people for empowerment.

“I charge the Ebubeagu security outfit, which is backed by the state laws, to ensure that the people are protected,” Umahi said.

He said the state could not go into “second slavery under any guise”, pointing out that “the secession the people need is massive economic development.

“There will be movement in other parts of the country, if there is none in the South-East so people should therefore ignore such order.

“Ebonyi people are grateful to President Muhammadu Buhari for all his assistance and if people do not see his goodness, he has been good to us,” he said.

He urged parents and relevant stakeholders to advise youths to toe the path of peaceful co-existence and not depend on the illusionary influences of hard drugs and fetish powers.

In a related development, the Commissioner of Police in Enugu State, Mr Mohammed Aliyu, also advised residents to disregard the IPOB order.

Aliyu gave the advice in a statement issued in Enugu by the command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, on Saturday.

According to Ndukwe, the commissioner appeals to residents to discountence the order and go about their legitimate businesses without fear of intimidation.

“We are reassuring everybody about the command’s commitment to collaborate with other security agencies to sustain adequate public security and safety in the state, in line with the mandate of “Operation Restore Peace.”

“The command warns anybody or group harbouring any sinister intentions to disrupt the relative peace and security enjoyed in the state to desist forthwith, as such attempt will be resisted.

“The command entreats parents, guardians as well as religious, traditional and town union leaders to caution their subjects against allowing themselves to be incited by mischief-makers to foment trouble,’’ Ndukwe stated.

The statement further urged residents to “remain law-abiding and vigilant as they go about their legitimate businesses”.

It appealed to the people to report criminal elements and persons found fomenting trouble to the nearest police station.

It implored the people to alternatively call the following emergency command’s hotlines: 08032003702, 08075390883, 08086671202 or 08098880172.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that IPOB had issued a sit-at-home order in the southeast on May 31 to commemorate the death of many people during the civil war that ended about 51 years ago. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Security

Buhari Appoints Maj. Gen. Yahaya as New Army Chief

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Maj. Gen. Farouk Yahaya as the new chief of army staff.

The appointment came barely one week after Attahiru, along with 10 other military officers, died in a plane crash at the Kaduna International Airport.

The appointment is contained in a statement signed and released on Thursday by military spokesman Brig. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu.

Prior to his appointment Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army and the incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter terrorism Counter Insurgency military outfit in the North East code named Operation HADIN KAI, the statement said

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Sunrise Magazine. All rights reserved